Sunday, January 22, 2012

Reflect on the environment

As a gardener we have a close link with the environment as seen in the growth of food for our families as well as ornamental plants, shrubs, and flowers in our garden spaces.  However, what are we doing to protect and invigorate the environment?  While writing this post I'm watching the 2009 PBS Frontline special Poisoned Waters.  It raises an all important question, what are we doing to our drinking water, estuaries, and waterways? The agricultural industry (to include animal farms) provides the largest contribution to water pollution and waste that comes in the form of excess fertilizer and manures that makes their way into the water.

I live a few blocks from Lake Michigan.  There are times when people are not allowed in the water due to waste seepage from further up the shore.  My boyfriend remembers a time when the fish in the lake were deemed inedible for human consumption.  It's all well and dandy to meet regulation requirements, but what about going above and beyond standards?  While I'm not a country homesteader, I am an urban gardener and even though I am just one person among seven billion people in this world, I can still make an impact by implementing eco-friendly measures in my garden.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment